User-generated content (UGC) is all the content related to a brand created by its customers - to say it can be very powerful would be an understatement. In fact, 92% of consumers claim that they trust user-generated content, aka earned media, more than other forms of advertising. People like feeling a human connection before buying, so having creative and unique content will guarantee continued support and attention from consumers. Here are 10 user-generated content statistics that prove its value:
1. 92% of consumers trust recommendations from other people — even people they don’t know! — over brand messaging
That's right — even total strangers' recommendations hold more weight than recommendations from the brand itself. These recommendations from family, friends or even strangers are perceived to be more trustworthy and authentic than branded content, which is generally perceived as having an agenda.
2. Youtube videos created by users have 10x more views than videos produced by the brand itself.
People have stronger relationships with influencers they follow and trust. If followers have had positive experiences with previous recommendations, they are more likely to continue making purchases recommended by an influencer.
3. If on-site consumer reviews are present on a website, the conversions can increase by 74%.
Having reviews readily available encourages buyers to make the commitment to purchase immediately. When potential customers see others leaving positive reviews, they’ll know it’s worth giving a shot. Here's how many reviews consumers read before buying.
4. Websites with UGC see 20% more return visitors than those without.
Even if consumers don't convert right away, sites that incorporate user-generated content might see those conversions further down the line thanks to an increase in return visitors.
In the case of micro-influencers, who have smaller, more engaged followings, users know that the influencer has earned the trust of their followers enough to introduce new or little-known products.
6. Ads featuring UGC have a 5x higher click-through rate.
Looking to boost the effectiveness of your paid ads? Adding in visual user-generated content, like photos or videos, can increase ad performance.
7. 64% of customers search for online reviews before they make a decision.
Often, people who are seeking to make a purchase go with the website that offers reviews. If a site does not have any customer feedback, buyers might even leave your site and go to a new one that does - Yikes! Having online reviews gives buyers reassurance that they will be receiving what was expected.
8. Only 15% of consumers say they actually want to see brand-created visuals as opposed to UGC.
User-generated content is simply what consumers want to see, as it's both more intriguing and more trustworthy than branded material. If you're looking to get your message across, increase engagement, or both, incorporating UGC into your content will appeal to more of your audience.
9. 84% of millennials are influenced in some way if user-generated content is featured on a website.
Providing UGC on your website as well as on your social media sites allows you to cater to a wider audience. For info on social hub softwares you can use to display UGC on your website easily, check out this blog.
10. When searching for information on the world's 20 largest brands, 25% of the search results are links to user-created content.
Often, influencers are more creative and relatable when it comes to creating content, while brands tend to be a little more formal. If you want to curate more UGC for your brand, here's how.
11. Consumers spend, on average, 5.4 hours a day with user-generated content.
Yep — user-generated content is everywhere, and consumers are tuned into it. To get UGC of your brand out there and making an impression, incorporate it into your entire marketing funnel, such as social pages, marketing emails, your website and more.
12. In 2015, 78% of B2C companies incorporated UGC.
Companies that directly target and reach consumers have learned that UGC is one of the easiest and most appealing ways to advertise their products/services. UGC created by brand ambassadors or influencers help your products appear in more organic situations (versus pushy and promotional ones).
13. 57% of brands avoided using UGC in fear of copyright laws.
We know copyright may seem scary, but the key is to be clear and upfront with your influencers. Many companies offer disclosures that state that all work submitted is their property, making it a breeze for you to repost all UGC as you please. Asking to repost any content related to your brand is always a good call if you’re lacking this kind of written agreement.
14. 41% of consumers say they only need to see between 1 and 4 reviews in order to be influenced to purchase.
Continued exposure to several versions of UGC for the same product increases the opportunity for conversion. The more influencers sharing the same product, the higher the importance perceived by the buyer.
15. As of December 2015, 86% of businesses utilized UGC as part of their marketing strategy.
UGC takes a company’s marketing campaign to new levels. Getting content from users allows for more relatable advertisements as well as opens the doors for influencer campaigns, collaborations and contests.
These are just some of the many supporting facts on UGC and how beneficial this type of content can be to your brand’s overall success. Reviews, selfies and even a share on an IG Story can go further than you think. Ready to gain some UGC of your own? Click here to learn more about getting user-generated content created by influencers with Statusphere.
Last updated November 9, 2021.