Looking for an out-of-the-box way to build buzz and earn more social exposure for your brand?
Trust us: sending PR packages to influencers can do the trick.
Done right, PR boxes create a flood of reviews and user-generated content to promote.
The more effort your put into your packages, the likelier you are to earn glowing reviews. Not to mention awesome posts from creators.
What does it take to put together an influencer package worth posting about, though? From picking products to creating a unique unboxing experience, there’s a lot to consider.
That’s why we created this list of PR package ideas to help you earn the best posts possible.
1. Pick Out Picture-Perfect Products to Send
Inspiring influencers to post about your PR package means sending the right products.
Ask yourself: what gifts would delight you enough to snap a pic and post about a brand?
Think about how you can create the same experience for your audience. Curate products relevant to your recipients. Hint: don’t ship random inventory you’re trying to get rid of.
Thing is, you also need to be smart about what you send. Shipping a 10-pound box of swag or hundreds of dollars worth of gifted products is risky. Needlessly expensive, too.
When picking products, make sure that they’re…
- A minimum $20 value. Emphasis on minimum. You can’t expect influencers to boost your brand with low-value, discount products. Most brands sending PR packages bundle products that exceed a $50 value together. If you don’t have single products that exceed $20, bundling is the way to go.
- Easy to ship. Don’t create stress for yourself by shipping temperature-sensitive or fragile items. Receiving a damaged product leaves a bad first impression.
- Aesthetically pleasing. Colorful and eye-popping items are a plus. Brainstorm products that’d fit seamlessly in an Instagram Reel or TikTok tutorial.
Check out this example from PIXI that ticks all of the boxes above:
Colorful packaging that’s ‘gram-worthy? Check.
A product combo that’s valuable to the creator? Double-check.
Packaging that’s compact and easy to ship? Yep, that too!
When it comes to PR package ideas, brainstorming product bundles is a must-do.That’s because bundles invite people to test-drive more products and up the value of your gift.
2. Present Your Products So They’re Ready for Social Media Stardom
Again, your products really need to pop if you want to earn creator posts on social media.
Consider how much influencers love to create unboxing videos and Stories. Heck, the #unboxing hashtag on TikTok has 49+ billion (yes, billion). Needless to say, consumers love to watch unboxing content.
For creators, much of the allure of PR packages is the unboxing process. The experience should be fun, memorable and worth posting about. Brands should strive to create delightful experiences for influencers and their followers.
Making that experience happen boils down to presentation. Below are a few PR package ideas to secure your brand the spotlight on social media:
- Include branded packaging. This includes stationery and packing materials that reflect your brand’s colors and logo. In short, make your PR package feel like you.
- Pick a creative package theme. If your product is seasonal or time-sensitive, feature that theme in your packaging. Think about how holiday packaging is always a sea of red, white and green. If you have products that match your theme, even better!
- Throw in a complimentary gift. Adding a small (but meaningful!) gift lets creators know that you care and want to go the extra mile.
Looking for inspiration for packages that pop? Below is a PR package example from Minotaur Books that knocks it out of the park.
This gifted package is tailor-made for social media. Not only do the fairy lights make the post Instagram-worthy but they’re also thematic! This is a (literally!) shining example of how creativity and extras can earn you love from creators.
Sending great gifts doesn’t have to be a huge creative project, though. From inserts to notecards and beyond, there are plenty of effective PR package ideas that work regardless of your budget.
Check out NOTES delights recipients with a simple but chic branded box and notecard. This highlights the importance of proper product curation and personalization.
Here’s another example of a branded box, this time from Lululemon. Again, you don’t have to rack your brain to put your creative stamp on your PR packages.
That said, small touches like notes on branded stationery can make a big impact on creators (see below).
The takeaway? When your presentation is on point, influencers are more likely to make unboxing posts featuring your products.
Below are some places to find materials to spruce up your next PR package campaign:
3. Craft a Personalized Note to Make a Connection with Creators
Including notes in your PR packages is a surefire way to make your gifts feel one-of-a-kind.
Doing so shows your attention to detail to creators. Likewise, personalized notes can really make the unboxing experience feel special.
We actually have an entire post on what to include in a PR package note. That said, here’s a quick summary for crafting notes to creators:
- Always address influencers by name
- If possible, handwrite your notes (or at the very least sign them yourself)
- Include a call-to-action (ex: request feedback or ask them to @tag you)
- Say thank you and let the influencer know that you value their time.
Below is an example of a brilliant PR package note that sticks to the best practices above.
Note how this personalized, handwritten message addresses the creator by name. The brand rep then explains Simply Boxers’ donation initiative for every product sold or gifted. This detail highlights the brand’s values. Lastly, the note says “thank you.”
The takeaway? All it takes is a few sentences to make a lasting impression on your recipients. There’s a reason why the best PR packages include handwritten gifting notes.
4. Include Product Talking Points to Encourage Creators to Post
Consider subtle steps you can take so creators can make the most of the products they receive.
Whether in a note or separate insert, providing specific details about your product(s) is a smart move. This might include:
- A brief description or summary of the product(s)
- Explain your products’ benefits or unique selling points (organic, easy-to-use)
- How to use them (or tips for using them)
This information serves as a list of talking points for influencers when they post about you. Presenting this info yourself saves them time looking up your product for details. The easier your product is to understand and use, the more likely you are to earn a positive post.
Below is a prime example of how explaining your products can pay off in a PR package:
Peek this comment from the creator: “While I’ve tried a lot of products from the brand, it’s my first time using Gelactive toner.” With an explanation of the proper application and purpose of the product, it’s easier for them to understand its benefits and what to expect.
Since this info was in the package, the creator doesn’t have to do any digging for answers themselves. See how that works?
Hint: be sure to include your brand’s social media @handles in your notes or talking points. Doing so will make it easier for them to tag you when they decide to post!
5. Feature a Promo Code in Your PR Package
Not all brands that work with influencers use promo or coupon codes. Assuming you already do, there might be an opportunity to couple your package with a discount.
The concept here is simple: sweeten the deal and encourage a positive post by giving influencers a personalized code to share. A no-strings-attached discount is a nice gesture if nothing else.
The key to making this idea work is sending products that really get your influencer and their audience buzzing. Given your product is relevant, influencers see promo codes as a big bonus. In some cases, promo codes can also serve as a way to measure performance and identify influencers to work with long-term.
Note: we don’t recommend promo codes for first-time gifting campaigns. That’s because tracking them can be tricky given the current state of marketing attribution. Also, promo codes can feel “salesy” and ultimately distract from the message and products in your PR package.
6. Outsource your PR Packages to Scale Your Campaigns
If you’re not sure if you have the time and energy to commit to PR packages, we totally get it.
Trust us: it's a lot more legwork than it seems. From finding influencers to getting products from point A to point B, sending PR packages DIY is no small feat.
And sure, brands can send gifts to a few creators for short-term buzz and a handful of posts.
The reality, though? Maximizing your reach and maximizing engagement means outsourcing to a platform that can guarantee consistent content (hint: Statusphere). Since we work with a handpicked network of creators, brands don’t have to worry about getting ghosted.
Bonus: 3 Brilliant PR Box Examples (and Why They’re Great)
If you’re still hungry for more PR package ideas and inspo, we’ve got you covered!
To wrap things up, here are three more top-tier boxes and takeaways to apply to your own.
1. PIXI Beauty
What Makes This PR Package Effective
- Photogenic products (and lots of them)
- A bonus goodie (the makeup bag) that matches Pixi’s branding plus doubles as packaging
- A branded print-out of a skincare routine featuring the bundled products.
2. Maison Margiela
What Makes This PR Package Effective
- Matching, branded packaging and a gifting note
- Playful slides matching the product’s packaging, all adding to the unboxing experience
- Simplicity! This example proves that your package doesn’t have to be “flashy” to work
What Makes This PR Package Effective
- Colorful and branded packaging
- A personalized, handwritten note for the creator
- Providing a complete makeup kit with multiple products for the recipient to try
How to Curate the Perfect PR Box for Your Brand
Whew, that was a lot to unpack!
As highlighted by the examples above, there are plenty of PR package ideas to make your recipients feel like a million bucks.
With a touch of creativity, you can delight your creators and make your brand shine.
Doing so doesn’t happen by accident, though.
If you need help sending PR packages, Statusphere can help. Heck, we’ve sent more PR boxes to creators than we can count at this point!
Our full-service influencer platform matches your brand with vetted creators from our network. In other words, we only send your products to people that legitimately want to test-drive them. Oh, and we also handle all of the heavy lifting related to shipping and fulfillment.
Want to learn more about how the process works? Chat with one of our consumer-to-consumer marketing specialists today to see how we can get more people posting about your brand.
This article was first published in May 2021. It was last updated October 14, 2022.